"Obviously we were happy and excited," said Dr. Lane in a phone interview on this obituary in July from his home where he was in hospice care. “But it was expected. We'd seen the curve fall off in the early '70s and the official announcement wasn't a big deal. What was a big deal was the successful eradication of the disease in 1977. "
Recognition…about Lane family
John Michael Lane was born on February 14, 1936 in Boston to Eileen O & # 39; Connor and Alfred Baker Lewis II. Their subsequent marriage was their first and second, and the surname Lane was created by his mother and passed on to John and an older brother, Roger. John had another brother, Stephen Lewis, as well as a half-brother, Alfred Baker Lewis III, and two half-sisters, Helena Lewis and Caroline Lewis, the children of Mr. Lewis II's first marriage.
John's father, a socialist with inherited wealth, was treasurer of the national N.A.A.C.P. and spoke about racial equality in black churches and colleges in the south in the 1940s. He and his wife sponsored Jewish refugees from Germany during World War II. She was the director of Planned Parenthood and the Y.W.C.A.
When the boy named Mike was 6 years old, the family moved to Greenwich, Connecticut, where he graduated from the private Brunswick School in 1952. He earned a bachelor's degree in English from Yale in 1957, a degree in medicine from Harvard in 1961 and a degree in Harvard in 1961. In 1967 he received his master's degree in public health epidemiology from the University of California at Berkeley. After his internship at Bellevue Hospital in New York, he joined the CDC in 1963 and within a year was assigned to the smallpox fight.
Dr. Lane's marriage to Carolina Hernandez in 1969 ended in divorce in 1998. He and Mrs. Summer were married that year.
In addition to his wife, a daughter from his first marriage, Cynthia Michelle Edward, and a stepdaughter, Annabel Moore, as well as his brother, half-brother and half-sisters and two grandchildren survive.
After the smallpox triumph, Dr. Lane at the C.D.C. From 1980 to 1987 he was director of the Center for Prevention Services. From 1988 to 1991 he taught at Emory University in Atlanta, from 1991 to 1993 at the Australian National University in Canberra and from 1993 to 2001 again at Emory.